What is Microneedling?
Microneedling with SkinPen® is a minimally invasive regenerative treatment to rejuvenate facial skin. A device with fine needles creates tiny punctures in the top layer of the skin. The treatment triggers the body to naturally produce higher levels of collagen and elastin. The results can include improved texture and firmness, as well as a reducing the appearance of scars, reducing pore size, and improving the appearance of stretch marks.
There are Three Phases to the Wound Repair Process
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is re-built with new granulation cells, as well as a temporary (type III) collagen and elastin, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels. The type III collagen in the newly formed tissue is replaced with stronger type I collagen, which can contract to create a tightening or “shrink-wrap” effect on the skin.
What are the Benefits of Microneedling?
Our Washington DC microneedling can minimize fine lines and wrinkles, restore collagen and improve your skin’s overall elasticity. At the Plastic Surgery Institute of Washington, you can realize the benefits of healthy, smooth skin without the downtime associated with a surgical procedure.
What You Can Expect From a SkinPen® Procedure?
- A comfortable procedure. Your provider will apply a topical numbing agent to ensure your comfort during the procedure.
- A short procedure. Procedure time may range from 30 minutes to one hour.
- A mild sensation. Most patients report feeling just the slight vibration of SkinPen® during the procedure.
- Mild post-procedure effects. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn.
- Soothing aftercare. Your clinician will provide you with an aftercare kit that will be used to support the wound-healing environment.
- A plan for optimal results. Your clinician may recommend a course of procedures based on your individual skin health goals. Maintenance of your procedure may be completed with multiple treatments to maintain optimal results.
- A post-procedure protocol to optimize your results. Your provider may recommend an aftercare regimen specifically formulated to support your skin post microneedling in order to help maintain a youthful appearance.
- Individual results may vary. Ask your provider about what’s best for you.
Am I a Good Candidate for Microneedling?
Microneedling is minimally invasive, and an excellent option for anyone in the Washington D.C. area who would like to improve the appearance of his or her skin. With microneedling, there are no limitations when it comes to age and skin types.
What is Microneedling with PRP?
Our Washington DC microneedling with PRP (platelet rich plasma) uses your own platelets to trigger your body to naturally create new collagen. It is used in combination with traditional microneedling to tighten and smooth wrinkles and fine lines. It is a modern regenerative treatment that can significantly improve skin quality.
How Does PRP Microneedling Work?
PRP microneedling works the same way as traditional microneedling but with the added healing benefits of PRP. Prior to treatment, PRP will be extracted by a simple blood draw. The microneedling pen will be applied first, and when complete, PRP is then added either topically or injected into the skin.
Why Choose the Plastic Surgery Institute of Washington for Microneedling?
As a world-class practice located in the D.C. area, the Plastic Surgery Institute of Washington delivers care and service above and beyond what patients expect from a high-end plastic surgery provider. Patients are welcomed by highly skilled, board-certified surgeons and support staff that value exceptional quality and individualized patient care.