Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure in the nation, according to American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) statistics. In some cases, revision is needed for aesthetic reasons, or because of complications with the original surgery. At Plastic Surgery Institute of Washington, we perform one of the best breast revisions Washington DC has to offer, with a high level of artistry and skill.
What Is Breast Revision?
Typically, breast revision surgery involves removing and replacing breast implants. Goals of the procedure may include:
- Increasing or decreasing the size of the implant
- Changing the shape or style of the implant
- Concurrently lifting or reducing the breasts
- Reshaping the pocket in which the breast implant is placed to reposition the implant on the chest
- Treating complications that may have developed with breast implants
Why Choose Plastic Surgery Institute of Washington?
The Plastic Surgery Institute of Washington is a world-class cosmetic practice in North Bethesda, just outside of Washington, DC. We have a fully accredited in-office surgery center with board-certified anesthesiologists and also perform procedures at the newly modernized Sibley Hospital. Your surgery will be performed by highly skilled, board-certified plastic surgeons who value exceptional quality and individualized patient care.
What Should I Expect?
Our Washington DC breast revision surgery is individually tailored to your needs. The procedure is similar to breast implant surgery and typically performed under general anesthesia. The time it takes to perform the procedure will depend on the extent of the revision required.
What Is Recovery Like after Breast Revision?
You can expect to experience some bruising, which should subside within two weeks, and swelling, which should begin to resolve within three weeks. Avoid vigorous activities for three to four weeks after surgery. Most patients can return to work in one to two weeks.
Why Have Breast Revision in Washington, DC?
Women choose to have breast revision for a variety of reasons. They may want smaller or larger implants, or a different type of implant to achieve their aesthetic goals. We also perform breast revision in Washington, DC to correct a range of complications, including:
- Ruptured implants: Breast implants are designed to be durable but may rupture or leak eventually. When this occurs, the implant must be removed and replaced.
- Bottoming out: When breast implants drop significantly on the chest, the breasts are too low, and the nipples are too high. Implants must be repositioned and secured to correct this problem.
- Rippling: This complication is most common in women who are thin. It involves ripples in the implant that are visible on the surface of the skin.
- Capsular contracture: With this complication of breast implant surgery, the capsule that forms around the breast implant contracts around the implant, causing it to become hard and distorted in appearance, and possibly painful.
- Symmastia: When the breast implant pockets merge together in the middle of the chest, revision surgery can be performed to separate the pockets and correct the problem.
What Can I Do to Reduce Swelling after Surgery?
You may be instructed to wear a compression bra during the first part of your recovery to help control swelling and keep the implants in place. Sleeping with your head and back elevated can also reduce swelling in the chest area. Sleep in a recliner or use pillows to elevate your head and back.
When Will My Final Results Become Visible?
Most post-surgical swelling will resolve within a month after the procedure. However, it may take several weeks or months for your new implants to settle into position, at which time your final results can be seen.
How Long Will My Results Last?
Your new breast shape should remain stable, unless you become pregnant, or gain or lose a significant amount of weight. However, as for any women, gravity and aging may affect the appearance of your breasts over time.
Take your first step on a journey to a new you.
At PSIW, we eagerly await your arrival.Schedule a Consultation